RMSS is a Christian peer support group for adult survivors of violent crimes and individuals that support them. Yikes! Who would want to belong to such a group? The answer is no one wants to ever belong to such a group. It is a fate that chooses us and here in Colorado, we are a growing number.
Denver Channel 7 News (KMGH-TV), broadcasted a story on August 7, 2019 that for the fifth-straight year, Colorado has seen an increase in violent crime, according to a report from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation released on August 5, 2019
There was a 7.95% increase in the category of violent crime in 2018 compared to 2017, with more than half of last year’s violent crime reports falling into the category of aggravated assault, the report read.
There were 25,201 cases of violent crime in Colorado last year. Of that total, there were 14,403 victims of aggravated assault in 2018.
The state’s murder rate fell slightly from 2017. CBI recorded a 3.21% drop in the number of reported murders, according to the report.
There were 211 murder cases in 2018, compared to 218 in 2017.
For the first time, the bureau began a crime stats system that focuses on hate crime, which nearly doubled in 2018 compared to the number of cases the previous year.
RMSS is a place for survivors of violent crime and individuals that support them to go for support, encouragement, healing, and work toward social betterment. RMSS will meet each survivor wherever she/he is in their individual healing journey and then begin walking alongside her/him toward full restoration.
Nationally, U.S. Centers for Disease and Prevention (CDC) reported 19,510 homicides in 2017. This number has been on the rise in the U.S. since 2000.
RMSS incorporates writing, visual art and music as tools for moving forward in the healing process. Members do not need to have experience in any of these creative areas, only an interest in at least one of the three and teachable heart.
RMSS is a positive, nurturing place to go if you…
- Are a survivor of a violent crime or an individual that supports a survivor.
- Your heart is often touched by written words, visual arts and/or music.
- Are processing a large array of emotions and need a safe venue to sort them out with others going through similar experiences.
- Desire to hear Holy Spirit’s voice for yourself as an expression through writing/ journaling, visual arts and/or music.
- Are looking for a place to engage with other survivors in a creative, empowering and Christ-centered way.
- Feel the incident has isolated you from others and need peers to walk alongside you during this difficult time.
- Are questioning why God allowed this to happen and you sometimes question the goodness of God.
- Are looking for something redeeming to come out of this bad situation.
- Have a desire to be led by the Spirit and live as a conqueror of the tragic event(s) but feel you have been knocked off balance.
- You fight bitterness as a result of the terrible incident and wish to become better.
- You desire to stand closer to God even though you sometimes feel distant from Him.
- You want to be an encourager, comforter and/or exhorter for others and the community now more than ever.
- You have a desire to work toward eliminating violent crimes in our communities.
If some of these above listed items resonates with you, please join us at one of our FREE studio/support groups or contact us for more information. RMSS presently serves adults age 18 and older in the Colorado Front Range. Instruction takes place in a loving Christ-centered environment with a backdrop of the beautiful and inspiring Rocky Mountains. All adults are welcome as we do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, disabilities, age or gender.
There is no cost to attend a studio/support group or be matched to an online mentor. Members are responsible for their own studio materials. Scholarships are available and oftentimes studio materials are donated.
Our support studio is located in the Denver metropolitan area. For more information on times and locations, please contact us at email@example.com or 720-316-7491.